Erica Richmond @pixiepaperdoll7
The Ground Rules (Because every good playlist needs rules)
- Each song must be available on CBC R3
- I must have fallen in love with the song in 2014 (not necessarily released in 2014)
- One song per artist
The Play List (in no particular order)
- Cloud 69 – Lowell
Toronto, ON Arts and Crafts (2014)
- fucking. amazing.
- Oh Cecilia – Born Ruffians
Toronto, ON Paper Bag Records (2014)
- but then again, I’m a sucker for dancing crossing guards.
- Provincial Parks – Oh Susanna
Toronto, ON Independent (2014)
- Oh Susanna is back again from my 2012 playlist
- Old Man Leduke deserves an honourable mention (Namedropper CD – a friendship project.)
- Congrats on your recent battle. Fuck cancer.
- Uja – Tanya Taqag Gillis
Cambridge Bay, NU Six Shooter Records (2014)
- Yeah that’s right. I jumped on the Tanya train after her phenomenal performance at the Polaris Prize Awards Ceremony. And her acceptance speech? No one else could have possibly made a hastag out of #fuckPeta (not to mention #sealfie).
- I am the Night – Amelia Curran
St. John’s, NFL Six Shooter Records (2014)
- Amelia Curran was previously featured on my 2012 playlist. This newest album holds a special spot in my heart, particularly since my recent family tragedy. Take a minute – stop looking at my playlist – and watch this video: http://www.thisvideo.ca/ #EverythingIsGoingToBeAlright
- Run Run Run – Sea Perry
Sudbury, ON Independent (2013)
- I will not run away from this band!
- Fire Me Up – Lightning Dust
Vancouver, BC Jagjaguwar (2013)
- Shh… I’m listening to the rain hit the ground
- Sunshine – The Wet Secrets
Edmonton, AB Independent (2014)
- Can you keep a secret? I love this song! Also featured on Day 6 of my Western Canada Road Trip Playlist (cat video included)
- Gay Goth Scene – The Hidden Cameras
Toronto, ON Outside Music (2014)
- Not just another catchy tune, Gay Goth Scene is a mixture of short film and music video, that deals with a worldwide social disease: bullying.
- Odd Year – Odd Years
Guelph, ON Fortnight Music (2013)
- This is one of my new favourite bands this year! Oddly enough (or maybe not) they are also featured on Day 3 of my Western Canada Road Trip
- Others – Indigo Joseph
Regina, SK Independent (2014)
- I will continue to shout my love for this band until they get the recognition they deserve! They received 2 spots (yeah, that’s right – rule-breakers!) on my 2013 playlist and also were featured on Day 5 of my Western Canada Road Trip
- I Want You Back – Dead Ghosts
Vancouver, BC Independent (2013)
- raw, dirty, I want it all…
- Also featured on Day 18 of my Western Canada Road Trip
- Sexy Socialite – Chromeo
Toronto, ON Last Gang Records (2014)
- Wikipedia describes Chromeo as a ‘boogie/alternative dance duo’ – Sexy!
- Headsick – JULYTALK
Toronto, ON Sleepless Records (2013)
- Oh what the hell – let’s talk about them in December too!!
- Ej Feel Zoo – Radio Radio
Montreal, Qc Bonsound Records (2014)
- J’ (fucking) adore Radio Radio! Previously featured on my 2012 playlist.
- Chain Reaction – The Pygmies
Calgary, AB Independent (2013)
- A punkish Austin Powers sound.. but way better than I’ve just described it.
- An American Dream – Kalle Mattson
Sault Ste. Marie, ON Parliament of Trees (2014)
- Can you listen to this song without tapping at least one part of your body? You must be dreaming!
- Dog Face – Odd Years
Guelph, ON unknown
- Rule-Breaker alert!! But c’mon…that face…
- ps thank you for sending me this track – you made my day!
- You Carry a Sickness – Astral Swans
Calgary, AB Madic Records (2014)
- Animal – The Pack A.D
Vancouver, BC Nettwerk (2014)
- Also featured on Day 15 of my Western Canada Road Trip
- Upon returning from my roadtrip, my 70yr old friend thanked me to introducing her to so many new artists, highlighting The Pack A.D as one of her faves. #RockForever
- Pretty Respectable – Mounties
Vancouver, BC Light Organ (2014)
- Mounties are no stranger to my playlists including my 2013 list and Day 17 of my Western Canada Road Trip (Hawksley started it off with Day 1)
- I caught them live in early 2014 :
- All Alone (on my own) – Michael Rault
Toronto, ON Pirates Blend (2014)
- Back again from 2012!
- Michael once asked for a picture with me: (yeah, really. It was HIS idea …He didn’t want to be all alone)
- Pancakes, no heartache – Den-igan
Guelph, ON unknown
- mmmm… pancakes with syrup, hold the heartache
- Demon – Kandle
Montreal via Victoria, QC (2014)
- Oh. Hell. Yeah.
- Twink – VASLAV
Toronto, ON (2014)
- Want to know what I really think of this album? Read my review of Revelator (Spoiler – they also made my 2012 playlist!)
- Je suis devue une lionne – Whitehorse
Hamilton, ON Six Shooter Records(2014)
- This band (and song) are fantastique en Francais and English!
- Whitehorse are no strangers to my ears or yours – they made an appearance on my 2013 playlist and Melissa was on my 2012 playlist
- ps.… Thank-you for humouring our picture taking request when we were neighbours in Huntsville!
- 18th of December – Deep Dark Woods
Saskatoon, SK Six Shooter Records (2013)
- “18th of December” is a song about the high price to pay for following one’s heart, and accepting the consequences of one’s choices.” deep. and dark.
- Nothing Left – Elliott Brood
Hamilton, ON Paperbag Records (2014)
- Elliott Brood not only has seen every consecutive CBC R3 playlist but they also held the theme song of our Western Canada Road Trip this summer
- I am so freaking excited to see these boys live in the New Year (there WILL be dancing!)
- They are quickly becoming one of my very favourite artists. And there’s nothing left to say.
- Call of the Wild – The Matinee
Vancouver, BC (2014)
- The Matinee must have heard the call…They posted this new tune just minutes before my final cut!
- Not only were The Matinee another rule-breaker on 2013 playlist but they were also featured on Day 13 of my Western Canada Road Trip